Wednesday 14 March 2012

It was Daumier:



Don't trust history. Don't trust me. Don't trust memory. It was a Daumier. Not Goya. Even better it is Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. I imagine Collee cast me in the role of Panza. A beautiful choice of image to polish my vanity. Dr. John Collee went on to write the novel Paper Mask, for which he also wrote the screenplay for the film version. He also wrote the screenplay for Master and Commander. The Far Side of the World. Pretty damn good film. Meanwhile I went onto .......doing more illustrations.

2 comments:

  1. an just in case you would like to know, where the original Daumier might be:
    the National Gallery, London

    to see more of Daumier's work, go to
    www.daumier-register.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah there's a clue to the painting's location on the reverse of the postcard....I must admit I haven't visited the National Gallery for some time and somehow you have made me feel guilty for not doing so. Last exhibition in London I paid money to see was Rachel Whiteread's 'drawings' alongside Eadweard Muybridge's photographs, they both got away with murder. These days art has become too popular I thought Britain was a nation of philistines.

    ReplyDelete